Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Okkervil + River

AHHH just got back from an Okkervil River concert  and I am STILL on a high from it. However, I have to admit that it was a bittersweet experience. You see, Okkervil River is one of my ALL TIME favorite bands. My older sister Selina turned me onto them several years ago. So that was the sweet part- the pure ecstasy of the set. The sad part, however, was how very empty the venue was. Tickets were only $15 yet the audience, though dedicated, was rather pathetic. This should not be the case. I blame myself for not forcing more of my friends to attend. The lessons we learn...

(my really great iPhone photography)
(ps how sick is that background? the middle section is a projection)


The band was formed in 1998 in Austin, Texas (hollaaa). I saw them last year at Austin City Limits music festival, but this show was by FAR more amazing. The lead singer is fairly bizarre, but the stage getup was awesome and they played most of my favorites, which is always nice. If you don't know them, I highly encourage you to check them out. Specifically the tracks below. (Also- they have some sweet cover art.)


"Unless It Kicks"
My all-time favorite. I kid you not. This is my ultimate pump-up jam.


"For Real"
One of their creepier songs. But I think that's why I like it.


"Westfall"
DEFINITELY their creepiest song. Which is definitely why I love it.
(Listen to the lyrics)


"Lost Coastlines"
A good drive-and-belt kind of song.

Albums:

        
I Am Very Far (2011)
The Stand Ins (2008)
          
The Stage Names (2007)
        
Black Sheep Boy (2005)
         
Down the River of Golden Dreams (2003)
         
Don't Fall in Love With Everyone You See (2002)





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...